Radiant Dental Arts World Class Dentistry
TMJ/TMD Treatment in San Diego CA
TMJ Pain and Headaches: TMJ Symptoms
TMJ-related headaches and jaw pain can be painful and serious. Our dental office provides pain relief as well as treatment for any other complications that may arise as a result of this issue. TMJ is a treatable problem, and our team of experts will work with you to develop a specific treatment plan to reduce your TMJ headaches and jaw pain.
What causes TMJ/TMD?
TMJ can be caused by a variety of factors, some of which are not always obvious. Here are a few things to keep an eye out for:
What are my TMJ/TMD treatment options?
- Botox– TMJ (temporomandibular joint) issues and related jaw strain and pain are treated with BOTOX® as an alternate treatment. BOTOX® improves TMJ and jaw-related stress for many individuals when injected into your tender facial muscles. Injecting Botox® into the masseter muscle can help you get rid of TMJ/TMD pain and provide you immediate relief on a temporary basis.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medicines– NSAIDs can control the symptoms and make you more comfortable by reducing the inflammation in your facial muscles.
- Oral Appliance / Nightguard– Our dentists may recommend that you wear a personalized mouth guard to keep your teeth from grinding together and inflicting more damage to them.
- Application of Moist Heat – Applying moist heat to the affected region will calm you down and help relax the muscles around the joint.
- Techniques for Stress Reduction– Stress can cause the jaw muscles to tighten, which can lead to TMJ/TMD difficulties. Stress reduction techniques can help you to get rid of this issue.
- Chiropractic and/or Physical Therapy
What is the process for TMJ / TMD treatment with Dr. Avina?
- Dr. Avina will conduct a careful inspection and interview to determine the intensity of TMJ / TMD pain.
- We believe that education is crucial, so we give a proper explanation of what could be causing the discomfort and what treatment choices are available.
- To obtain a 3D imaging of the jaw muscles and structure, a CT scan may be required. This is finished on-site.
- Our main priority is to provide you relief from persistent pain. If Dr. Avina is successful, we shall have a better idea of what the best course of action is going forward.